Tuesday, May 26, 2009

VanderPants Mini Triathlon

Yep. We've lost our minds. This July there is going to be a mini triathlon held nearby and we've decided to try it out. It's nothing super duper impressive compared to some of the extreme triathlons friends of ours have completed, but it's a step in a new and challenging direction. The triathlon consists of a 300 yard swim, 10 mile bike ride, and a 2 mile run. Mike and I have done the bike and run portions twice now and we're confident we'll survive those just fine. The swim on the other hand, is a beast.

For Mike the swim is no big deal. Actually, the whole triathlon is no big deal for Mike! However, I cannot swim. Yes, let me reiterate that we're doing a triathlon and I cannot swim!! This weekend swimming lessons ensued and I am horrified by my abilities.

Swimmers look so graceful and sleek, gliding through the water effortlessly. Not me. If you could possibly thud through the water, that's what I'm doing! Even worse, all the pools on base haven't been opened but all the lifeguards have been hired so about 10 lifeguards sat in chairs lining the length of the only open tiny 25 meter pool. I felt like they were going to hold up score cards judging me at 3.2, 2.0, and 3.5 as I "swam" by. Mike has been so patient and gave me my second lesson today. During this lesson I was informed that the backstroke is not an option for completing a triathlon...too bad. Apparently those little underwater motorized machines you always see in the Sky Mall in flight magazine are also not an option. Again...too bad.

We'll keep everyone updated on our progress and are always open to advice!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you guys! You guys are so supportive of each other and possibly the most hilarious couple that I have ever met.
Advice, breaststroke IS allowed and lets you catch your breath and calm panicky nerves. All in all, it is a success as long as you challenge yourself and have fun!

Our Family said...

ahhhhhh.....i do have fond memories of swimming with you guys a few times down at barbers :) keep up with the practice sessions, you're going to be great!