Thursday, April 19, 2012

We made it!

But first......

One of my closest friends, Julie, came to visit just before flying out to Germany.  Funny how time passes so quickly.  Another friend here in Dover asked how Julie and I know one another and we both basically just let out a sigh.  I guess this is the point in our lives when we start saying, 'oh, we go waaaay back'.

Julie is one of a handful of very close friends I've met through my life both in the military and as a military spouse over the last 12 years.  She knew me while I was Active Duty and I knew her when she was just dating my good friend Garrett.  We've shared all kinds of HUGE life milestones together: we were newlyweds at the same time, helped one another through the scary days of our spouses being deployed (real deployments, not this fun Germany stuff), the birth of our children and just maturity in general...or at least we like to think that in the last 10 years we've matured!

I don't have any biological sisters, but if I could choose one it'd be Julie.  I so appreciate her friendship and sense of humor.  Not to mention, she made an eight hour drive to see Rosie on short notice.  Garrett stayed home with their kiddos over his own holiday weekend so she could come.  Thanks Garrett!!!

Really close friends aren't easy to come by, and this one has stood the test of time and distance.  We love you, Carr Family!

Like Julie, most of my close girlfriends aren't nearby and yet we maintain a relationship just as if we lived next door.  So lucky for all my girls, near and far.

Rosie and her Auntie Julie

 For some reason, the iPhone pics were pretty much all that we took.  
We were too busy chatting it up to get out the real camera.
Oh, and chatting was all we could do since I shut off my cable to come to Germany!  Oh!
 We bought Rosie a new bathing suit...and then had to try it on of course.
No actual swimming was involved - just cute photos!

 Confession: this next photo has nothing to do with Julie's trip or Germany...I just love it.

Okay, down to business.

After some coordination by Kyle and Mike, I decided to fly out of Andrews AFB in D.C.  Between Kyle and Mike it's like having my own Airline Service.  So I arrived at Andrews and Kyle, who works in the passenger terminal, actually walked Rosie and I on the plane.  Seriously lucky girls.  Best brother EVER.

We took a military space available flight.  For my friends and family that are unfamiliar, this is a stock photo of a C-17 and a picture of the inside.  This is what we flew on to get to Germany - for FREE.  wahoo!
 The seats are folded up along the side walls.

Here's a quick video of our flight.....Rosie and I are in the second Humvee.  

hahaha.
Anyway...
Here she is just before takeoff, preparing to cry.
In her defense it was 88 deg out and it was her bedtime.
She's wearing her baby hearing protection because it's a noisy flight.

Shortly after takeoff it cooled down...way down...and I rolled out my sleeping mat and strapped Rosie's car seat to the floor with the seat belts.  She slept the entire rest of the flight being rocked by the plane and lulled by the noise.  Whew!  My jacket and the blanket is over her car seat because we were sitting next to the cargo door and it was a little drafty.  She's in there somewhere!
So we get to Germany and what do we do - SHOP.  
It wasn't purchased at some cute German boutique; I got it from the giant BX on Ramstein.  haha.

 Reunited with Daddy!

Jet lag...ready...GO.
The first night we put Rosie to bed right on time without a hitch.  Then she woke up at midnight for a party.  On a side note, she thinks it's SUPER funny when I do squats.  So there I was, in Germany, at midnight, doing squats, giggling with my little girl.  But now I wasn't alone, Mike was there doing squats with me.  Silly family.
 Playing in the bed sheets.


 New bouncer from the Ramstein yardsale website.  $18 and totally worth it!
More to come once we're settled in.
Miss you America, but we love our little family together.

2 comments:

Morgan said...

you are so brave, that's a big job taking a baby overseas! Sounds like she did great. and love the swimsuit!

Our Family said...

Great post! I love all the plane photos and I'm so glad it went smoothly! I'm SO happy it worked out for my visit, have a great time in Germany!!