We've had our dog Pele for about six years now. She's not your typical dog. There's none of that unconditional love overflowing from her like it does from our goofy Lab, Jersey. No, with Pele we had to earn every last bit of respect. In the past we've called her several things - chicken (she's incredibly skittish), cat (she's super sneaky), and princess (she's far too important to be playing silly dog games and learning tricks). Obedient was never something we'd have used to describe her. However, this evening she got jealous at all the attention Jersey was getting for fetching a ball and decided to join in. I tossed a ball and out of nowhere she jumped from her comfy dog throne, grabbed the ball, AND BROUGHT IT BACK. I thought it was fluke. I tossed it again, and for the second time ever she brought it back. Could it be that Pele is capable of fetching!? This went on for 5-10 minutes till my own attention span wore out. Very exciting times out here in the VanderPants world. I think we've all learned two things from this. #1-Pele has been holding out on her doggie responsibilities. #2-My evening is way too boring!
Thursday, January 29, 2009
Nothing Short of a Miracle...
We've had our dog Pele for about six years now. She's not your typical dog. There's none of that unconditional love overflowing from her like it does from our goofy Lab, Jersey. No, with Pele we had to earn every last bit of respect. In the past we've called her several things - chicken (she's incredibly skittish), cat (she's super sneaky), and princess (she's far too important to be playing silly dog games and learning tricks). Obedient was never something we'd have used to describe her. However, this evening she got jealous at all the attention Jersey was getting for fetching a ball and decided to join in. I tossed a ball and out of nowhere she jumped from her comfy dog throne, grabbed the ball, AND BROUGHT IT BACK. I thought it was fluke. I tossed it again, and for the second time ever she brought it back. Could it be that Pele is capable of fetching!? This went on for 5-10 minutes till my own attention span wore out. Very exciting times out here in the VanderPants world. I think we've all learned two things from this. #1-Pele has been holding out on her doggie responsibilities. #2-My evening is way too boring!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Hey Vanderpants! This is Ka Beikai (I don't use my real name on blogger because i have a blog where I talk about patients and so I need to remain anonymous). It's great to read your blog! Also, I just had to comment on this post because my dog did the exact same thing! I was dogsitting a ball-crazy dog, Solie, that would fetch & fetch & fetch for HOURS and i was exercising her in a vacant lot on the block and FINALLY my dog, Sasha, got so bored standing around waiting for us to be done that she actually ran in and went after the ball too! I was shocked. She fetched it several times. I actually started feeling bad for Solie who was being intimidated away from her ball by alpha-Sasha. :)
Post a Comment